Thursday, September 1, 2011

To Buy Generic or Not to Buy Generic

I don't mind buying generic things. I always compare the labels and often times, they are exactly the same to their more pricier name brand competitors. B does not like generic at all! He has fallen for all the marketing ploys into brainwashing you into thinking that their brand name is different. I've done the switcheroo and he never knows, but if he sees a generic label of a product he's been enjoying all along, he'll all of a sudden not want it. When I call him on it, he'll say how he knew something was "off". Uh huh, not buying it.

As I've mentioned before, I was sick last week. In my medicine cabinet, I had a bunch of medication (generic). B went to get me some "Nyquil" and he threw a fit over how generic my medicine cabinet was. Seriously, he wanted me to throw it away because "why save a few pennies for something that isn't going to do the job"?

Now he is sick. He asked that I bring him some stuff from the store. I got him all name brand (he wouldn't use it if it wasn't and I am still recovering so there was in no way, I was going to hear him bitch about it all night only for me to turn around and return the stuff). I bought Puffs tissue, Motrin PM, Thera-flu, Tropicana Orange Juice, Arrowhead Water, and super glue (I broke a nail while shopping for his shit). The total? A whopping $52! I did buy one generic item. Yup, the super glue. If I did buy only generic, I would have saved almost $20!

I'm not a cheapskate. I'm far from that, but I do not see the point of paying more for a brand when they have the EXACT same ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment