Monday, January 16, 2012

Granola

I was never used to eating breakfast. Until very recently, the thought of food in the morning made me a little nauseous. I could stomach coffee or a little juice, but that is it. It's all changed now. Out of the blue, I've turned into a breakfast person. I do eat light in the mornings most days, but I do have to have something in my stomach now.

Anyway, the other day I decided I would make granola. I can eat yogurt in the morning and the thought of having granola on it made my mouth water. B liked the idea as well. This weekend, I bought all the ingredients for granola and baked up a batch. It's delicious.

Anyway, the recipe is very easy and you can add whatever nuts and dried fruit you'd like.

4 C of oats
3/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C almonds -- coarsely chopped
1/2 C pecans -- coarsely chopped
1 1/2 C dried fruit (I used raisins, cherries, blueberries, and cranberries)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix all the oats and nuts together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together brown sugar, water, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Microwave until all the sugar has dissolved. Mix well. Add sugar mixture to bowl of oats and nuts and toss until very well combined.

Pour mixture into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread out in a thin even layer. You may need to use two baking sheets. Bake for 40 minutes. Halfway into baking, take out and stir around so the nuts do not burn.

Once the oats and nuts are golden brown a little crispy, take out of oven and let it cool completely. Once cool, add dried fruit and toss until well combined. Stir in an airtight container or resealable bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment