Tuesday, August 30, 2011

No Time For Treats

When my sister and I were growing up, our mom stayed home with us. During the week, she was our caregiver. On the weekend, our dad pitched in. We LOVED the weekends. Our dad was fun and made everything that much more special. He was patient and told funny stories and we loved that time. As I grew up, I understood it. Our mom was so consumed by us during the week, she didn't have the time or even the desire to make things fun for us. I think she saw us as a chore. I'm not bitter over it, but this is a woman that had two small children biting at her ankles and she had no where to escape. Our dad worked outside the home. He would see us in the evenings when we had been fed and bathed and happy. He didn't see us as the terrors I'm sure we were during the day.

I'm in a similar situation. I don't have children, but I have B. I do most of the day to day chores. I keep the fridge stocked with his favorites. I make sure his favorite drinking glass is always clean. I make sure he has his mouthwash and deodorant. The list goes on and on. I don't resent it or anything, but I realized I am so consumed with the day to day things I do for him, I don't take the time to make anything really special. I used to buy him whatever I saw at a store if I thought he'd like it. Now, I must confess I don't even look for him. He, on the other hand, does do the little things to show how he loves me. I'll say in passing how I need a new hair clip. The next thing I know, he'll go out and get it. He saw my favorite ice cream was back in stock. He'll buy it. Now, I do love this guy, but I'm totally like my mom! I have to remember to take the time to make little things special. I know he knows I love him, but it's time I start taking the time again to show him.

No comments:

Post a Comment