Friday, November 11, 2011

Potato Taquitos

This dish took a little longer than expected. I've made flautas and chimichangas before, but these seemed to take forever!! Nonetheless, they are delicious!

3 russet potatoes -- peeled and cubed
1/2 C sour cream -- I used light
1 jalapeno -- seeded and chopped
1 onion -- chopped
handful of shredded cheese -- I used sharp cheddar
19 corn tortillas - approximately 6 inch diameters
oil for frying
Salt to taste

Boil cubed potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain and mash with sour cream until desired consistency. Add onion, jalapeno, cheese, and salt. Mix well.

Heat a skillet with about 1/2 inch of oil. Warm the tortillas so they are just pliable, but not crisp. Put approximately one tablespoon of potato filling and roll up as tightly as possible. Secure with a toothpick. Start frying the taquitos for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Once lightly browned and crisp, remove. I place mine in a large mixing bowl stuffed with paper towels. I put the hot taquitos in the bowl standing up so the oil drips out of it.

I served these with black refried beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment