Monday, March 28, 2011

Pasta Bolognese

I used never order bolognese at restaurants.  To me, it was just a meat sauce.  What's special about that??  Then a couple of months ago, B and I went out to dinner.  There wasn't anything on the menu that jumped out at me, so I went for the bolognese.  It was magnificent.  It was very rich and I thought I wouldn't finish the whole thing, but I did and was wanting more!!

Of course this recipe is not a copy of the version I had at the restaurant, but it is still very good.  I served it with angel hair pasta because I wanted more sauce and less noodles.  I'll have it for lunch in an hour or so and I cannot wait!

3/4 lb of pasta
1 pound of ground turkey or beef
1 28oz of crushed tomatoes
3 tsp of dried oregano
2 garlic cloves minced
3 tsp of dried basil
1/2 tsp  crushed red pepper
1/4 C of parmasean cheese -- grated
1/4 C of heavy cream
1/8 C of balsamic vinegar 
Salt and Pepper

Cook pasta according to packaged directions.

In a big skillet, cook meat until done.  Drain well.  Add garlic and oregano and basil.  Cook for one minute.  Add tomatoes and cook until it comes to a boil.  Add balsamic vinegar and cook again for a couple of minutes.  Add crushed red pepper and salt and pepper.  Stir in parmasean cheese.  And let the mixture simmer for about ten minutes, stir occasionally.  At the end of the cooking time, stir in the heavy cream and warm it through.  Check and adjust seasonings.  Toss cooked pasta in the sauce or serve sitting on top of the noodles.  I opted for the latter.  This is really so rich and so flavorful!  I could eat it as a soup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment