Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cornbread Casserole

I tried this recipe last night.  It was quick and easy and very tasty!


1 pound of ground beef or turkey
1 onion -- chopped
1 small can of chopped chilies (or use a couple of fresh jalapenos)
one small box of cornbread mix (I used Jiffy brand)
1 can of cream style corn
1 egg
1/2 tsp of baking soda
a handful of shredded cheese (I used cheddar)

Brown the meat until cooked.  Drain well.  Add chopped onions and chilies.  Cook for a couple of minutes. In the meantime, mix together the cornbread mix.  Mine called for one egg and 1/3 cup of milk. I omitted the milk altogether since I was adding the corn.  So, mix the cornbread mix with the egg, baking soda, and the creamed style corn.  Mix until combined.  I didn't have to add any additional liquid.  If you do, a splash of milk will help.  Pour half of the cornbread mixture into the bottom of a greased baking dish.  I used a small square one (I can't remember the dimensions!).  Pour all of the meat mixture on top.  Place a layer of shredded cheese on the meat mixture.  Top with the remaining cornbread batter.  Spread carefully, so the meat is completely covered in batter.  Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes.  It is done when a knife comes out clean.

I'm going to serve this with salsa on top.  B really loved it and kept taking bites as it cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment