Monday, July 18, 2011

Cutting Myself Some Slack

I've said many times in this blog how I keep my budget tight on purpose. I save something like 25% of my take home pay. I pay A LOT for rent (40% -- I live in LA) and I make due with the rest. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty to live off of and plenty left to spend. The thing is I have been doing this for so long (for me) that sometimes I feel like cracking. Some days, I'm just sick and tired of counting and budgeting and making choices. My Emergency Fund/Liquid Savings is currently at almost $11K. My IRA's total up to around $17K. I had a late start with all the savings and I'm trying to catch up. In March, I saved only half of what i usually do and I splurged on the rest. I didn't spend the whole amount, but I loved that little flexibility in my budget. I'm thinking of doing the same for August.

That made me think what if I put 50% less in my savings three months out of the year? That would cost me just under $1K for the entire year. Yes, that is a lot of money and I could easily have it sit in my savings. I would love to see the larger number of that bank account, but I don't feel it's really worth it. I work hard and I do everything on my own. My EF is funded (would love to see it at $12K) and I would still contribute to savings every single month, but just less for three months. if I did this, by the end of the year, I will still have a little more than $14K in my savings.

I am so structured in a large part of my life that I don't really like this idea, but I feel I deserve it and frankly, "need" it.

Any opinions or ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment