Thursday, February 24, 2011

Blueberry Bread

I love blueberries!!  I never had made a bread from them, though.  I'm trying to have ready made (or almost) breakfast foods available to quickly grab as we leave for work.  Last week I made a banana bread that was delicious!  This week, I tried something different.  Earlier this week, I made the homemade version of a sausage McMuffin.  They were good and healthy, but not the most cost effective!  So I made the blueberry bread to supplement the sandwiches.

2 C of all purpose flour
3 Tbls of vegetable oil
2 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 C milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract (or zest)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 C sugar
2 cups of blueberries

In a large bowl, whisk the egg, milk, oil, vanilla, and lemon extract.  In another bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Combine the dry ingredients into the wet in small increments.  Once all the ingredients are all combined (Stir only until combined), gently fold in the blueberries. I used frozen blueberries, but I thawed and rinsed them so the whole bread didn't turn blue.  Once everything is combined, pour the batter in a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

The bread is light and moist and, believe it or not, not too sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment