Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tomato Soup

I grew up on tomato soup from a can.  As I got older, I upgraded to tomato soup in  a box.  I am now officially a homemade tomato soup kind of girl!  I like tomatoes, but often when I cook with them, the dish is very "tomatoey".  I have a hard time getting a balance between the acidic tomatoes and spice without it tasting weird.  This past weekend, I made my first batch of tomato soup.  It was easy and it tasted delicious!  I'll never turn to can or carton soup again!

28 oz of tomatoes.  I used diced.
4 fresh tomatoes -- diced (I had these on hand and threw them you. You don't have to)
1 small onion
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp crushed dried oregano
2 tsp sugar
1 Tablespoon of butter
1  Tablespoon of olive oil
2 cups stock.  I used chicken, but vegetable would do too
1/4 C of cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a pot with oil.  Add chopped onions and cook until soft.  Add oregano and garlic powder.  Stir for a couple of minutes.  Add tomatoes and stock and sugar.  Add salt and pepper.  Bring to a slight boil and simmer for 20 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Using an immersion blender puree the entire mixture until smooth.  Put the smooth soup back on low heat and stir in cream.  You may want more or less than 1/4 C.  I think I used slightly less.  Simmer for about ten minutes.  Taste and adjust seasonings once more.  Serve and Enjoy!

On Monday, we ate this with the Spinach Orzo Pasta Salad.  Today, we're going to have this with chicken salad sandwiches.  This soup really is that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment