Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fried Rice

 I love this dish because you can literally use anything you have leftover in the fridge.  The only thing you need is leftover rice.  Freshly made rice will just turn to mush when "fried". 

2 C of uncooked rice
Vegetables (any kind and they can be fresh, frozen, grilled, whatever you have in your fridge.  I used frozen corn and peas).
Chicken
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 clove garlic minced
several scallions -- sliced somewhat fine
Soy sauce
Chili paste or hot sauce ( you can also use crushed red pepper)
about 1/4 of sliced onion

Make the rice the night before. It needs to be slightly stale.

Okay, all of these ingredients don't have an exact measurement.  You can use however much you like and whatever kind of meat or veggies you have on hand.  I used one breast of fried chicken I had in the fridge.  I just removed the skin and breading and chopped it up.  I also used about 1/4 of a link of turkey sausage.

Place several tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan and let it get hot!  Have all of your ingredients on hand, because pretty soon you'll just start dumping.  Make sure your pan is pretty big too as this can get messy.  Once your oil is HOT, drop in the sliced onions and chopped sausage, and garlic.  Fry until sausage is crisp and onions are soft.  Dump in the frozen vegetables.  Cook until warm.  Dump in the leftover rice. Break up any lumps in the rice. The pan should be really hot and just keep stirring. Make sure the oil has coated the rice.  If you need to add more, add a little at a time until it is coated, but not greasy.  Add the chili paste or hot sauce.  Add cooked chicken.  Keep stirring.  Stir in some soy sauce.  Again, it depends on how much you like.  I tend to like my food somewhat salty.  When rice mixture is hot, add the toasted sesame oil.  A little goes a long way.  If you don't have it, don't sweat it, but it is a nice addition.  Check seasoning.  Add sliced scallions.  I like egg in my fried rice, B does not.  I usually scramble it separately and add it to my serving.  That's really it.  You now have a ton of fried rice and hopefully you used up a bunch of leftovers you had hanging out in the fridge.

This was so good, I kept sneaking bites out of it as I waited for it to cool enough to store.

No comments:

Post a Comment